Cherokee County, Iowa Community Service office provides Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).



County Seat
Cherokee County Courthouse
520 West Main
Cherokee, IA 51012


Community Services FAQ's

Community Services Main

Do I need to make an appointment for assistance?

No, you do not need to apply, however we may ask for further information to fully complete your application so you may need to visit our office to provide this information. 


Who is eligible for these services?

You may be eligible to access Cherokee County funding if you are:

  • 18 years or older diagnosed with mental retardation, mental illness or a developmental disability
  • Without private insurance or funds to pay for services independently
  • In need of mental health services and service coordination

Cherokee County will not deny the right to quality care based on sex, race, creed, socioeconomic status, mental or physical disability or impairment.


How are these services accessed?

You may pick up and complete an application to access Cherokee County funding at the following locations:

  • Cherokee County Community Services
  • Plains Area Mental Health Center
  • Cherokee County Work Services
  • Pathway for Emotional Well-Being

You must complete an application and receive service authorization before services are initiated, except in the case of an emergency.


What services are available?

Services are available based on the applicants need for the services and availability of other funding options.

  • Vocational Services
  • Supported Employment
  • Community Support Services
  • Outpatient mental health services
  • 24 Hours Emergency Services
  • Case Management
  • Supported Community Living
  • In-patient hospitalization


Does your office assist with grocery vouchers, gas vouchers and bus tickets?

No, grocery and gas vouchers and bus tickets are not requested through our office.  You may go to Mid-Sioux Opportunity (712-225-3322) which is a local food pantry and the Department of Human Services (712-225-6723) can assist you in applying for food stamps.  Gas vouchers are available on a limited basis through Mid Sioux Opportunity. 


How do I get a Case Manager?

Call 712-225-6700 and ask for the Case Management Supervisor or stop by our office at 203 East Bow Drive in Cherokee.  It is not necessary to have an appointment but it may be helpful to have time set aside to discuss needs. 


Who is eligible to receive case management services?

  • You must be Title 19 eligible (Medicaid)
  • You must have a diagnosis of mental retardation, chronic mental illness or developmental disability
  • You may have a need for monitoring and coordination of multiple services


What can a Case Manager do for me?

A Case Manager will help in determining your service needs and desires and make referrals to services and community resources.  A Case Manager will also help you access financial resources and monitor services you receive.  A Case Manager will also help advocate for you needs and wishes. 


What type of medical coverage does your office offer?

Effective July 1, 2005, medical treatment through the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics can be accessed through a new Medicaid program called Iowa Care.  This program is offered by the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS).  Contact your local DHS office (712-225-6723) for more information or to apply.



Photo by Sue Todd.