Cherokee County, Iowa Auditor's office provides general voting information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).


County Seat
Cherokee County Courthouse
520 West Main
Cherokee, IA 51012

Voting Information & FAQ's

To vote in Iowa, you must be registered to vote. To qualify to register to vote, you must be:
    A US citizen,
    An Iowa resident, and
    At least 17 years old (must be 18 years old by election day to vote)
You Cannot:
    Be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored),
    Be judged mentally incompetent to vote by a court, or
    Claim the right to vote in any other place.

Party Information:
You may register with or without a party affiliation. However, if you wish to vote in any Primary election, you must declare a party. Only registered Democrats and Republicans may vote in their respective Party Primary.

However, if a No Party voter wishes to change their affiliation, they can do so by mail advising the Auditor’s Office they wish to change or on Election day by declaring a party choice on that day and changing their original No Party choice.

Absentee Voting:

Request by Mail:

Request for a ballot should be made by mail to the Commissioner of Elections no earlier than 70 days prior to an election.

In requesting an absentee ballot state your name, date of birth, date of request, voting address, the address to which your ballot should be sent, party affiliation (Primary Election) and sign request as you are registered.  (Click here to get absentee request form)

In Person:
Absentee votes may be cast in person at the Cherokee County Auditor’s Office, as soon as ballots are available.

Armed Forces:
Those in the Armed Forces need not register if they vote a military ballot. The request constitutes registration with a Cherokee County address.

Patient or Resident of a Hospital or Health Care Facility (For Federal Elections Only)
Any qualified elector who becomes a patient or resident of a hospital or health care facility within three days prior to the date of an election, may request an absentee ballot during that period or on Election day Requestor may also telephone the commissioner no later than four hours before the close of the polls. If the request is in order, an absentee ballot will be personally delivered.


FAQ's about Voting

Q. I am currently a “No Party” voter registered in Cherokee County. I would like to affiliate with a party so I can participate in my respective party’s primary or caucus. Will completing and sending in a voter registration form with the appropriate party selected do that for me or are there other steps I need to take?
A. Completing a voter registration form with party affiliation selected will change your status. Another way is to fill out an absentee request for a primary and select the political party ballot you wish to receive, your registration will be changed to the party you check on the absentee request. Voters may also declare or change party affiliation at the polls on election day by writing a different party on an eligibility slip.  If you wish to change party affiliation after voting, you may take a voter registration form with you and send it in to the Auditor's Office after the election is over.

Q. While deployed I signed up to receive absentee ballots. How do I stop this service now that I have returned home?
A. Submission of an FPCA will allow you to receive a ballot for each federal election held after the FPCA is received until the end of the calendar year in which the FPCA is received.  The voter may also request a ballot for a specific election or ask to receive ballots for all elections occurring during the calendar year in which the FPCA is received.

Q. I am registered to vote, but I have lost my card. How do I request a replacement card?
A. Call our office at (712) 225-6704.

Q. I filled out and mailed a voter registration form, but realized that I did not check the questions on the top. Should I send in a new one?
A. Call our office at (712) 225-6704. We must verify that you are a citizen and will be at least 18 at the time of the election. We will check this status with your name, birth date, and ID number (Drivers license number, non-driver ID card or last 4 digits of your social security number). If they do not match, your registration will be rejected and you will be notified by mail. If you sign the form and you are not a United States Citizen or you will not be 18 years of age on or before Election day, you can be convicted of perjury and fined up to $7,500 and/or jailed for up to 5 years.

Q. I have moved to a new address. How do I update my voter registration?
A. When you change your name, address, or other data, you will need to update your registration by completing a new voter registration form.

Q. How do I know where to vote?
A. Your general election polling site is listed on your voter registration card. Please note that your polling place may differ based on the type of the election. Call our office to verify for school and city elections.

Q. I registered to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles and did not receive a voter registration card. How can this happen?
A. Inaccurate information is on the form and a contact phone number is not available. Always double check to make sure your correct address, street name, street direction, and city is correct. Call our office at (712) 225-6704 if you do not receive a notice from our office within two weeks of registering to vote.

Q. Can I request an absentee ballot via email or fax?
A. Yes, voters may submit absentee ballot requests by email or fax. The voter must also mail the original signed copy of the form or the ballot cannot be counted. The original application must be postmarked on or before the Monday before Election day.

Q. Can you tell me if I am registered to vote?
A. The Secretary of State has a webpage to verify your voter registration at or call our office (712) 225-6704.

Q. We are moving out of State. What do we need to do to remove our names from the voter registration list? You may also request that your voter registration be cancelled.  This request must be made in writing.
A. You will need to register to vote in the county you will be living in. Your registration cannot be transferred to another state; however, once you have registered to vote in the county you will be living in, your registration in our county should be canceled and inform them that you were registered to vote in Iowa.

Q. I will be out of town for the next election; can I come to your office to vote before the election.
A.  Yes, we are open Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. plus two Saturdays before a federal election.  Our office is located in the Courthouse at 520 West Main, Cherokee.