Property owners can apply for homestead tax credit, military exemptions or family farm tax credit if eligible.



County Seat
Cherokee County Courthouse
520 West Main
Cherokee, IA 51012

Cherokee County, Iowa Assessor Forms

Assessor Main


Iowa law provides for a number of credits and exemptions. It is the property owner's responsibility to apply for these as provided by law. It is also the property owner's responsibility to report to the Assessor when the owner is no longer eligible for any credit or exemption the owner has applied for. Following is a list of several credits and exemptions available in Iowa.

Homestead Tax Credit

To qualify for the credit, the property owner must be a resident of Iowa and occupy the property on July 1 and for at least six months of every year. New applications for homestead tax credit are to be filed with the Assessor on or before July 1 of the year the credit is first claimed. Once a person qualifies, the credit continues until the property is sold or until the owner no longer qualifies. This credit reduces the value on which taxes are calculated by a maximum of $4,850. (refer to code of Iowa, Chapter 425)

Military Tax Exemption
To file for the exemption, the property owner must be a resident of Iowa and meet one of the following qualifications:
Honorably discharged veteran who served in eligible service period.
Honorably discharged veteran who served for a minimum of 18 months, or for fewer than 18 months because of a service related injury.
Former member, or member who is currently serving, of Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who has served at least 20 years.
Member of Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who was activated for Federal duty, not including training for a minimum of 90 days.
Former member of the Armed Forces whose enlistment would have occurred during the Korean Conflict but chose to serve 5 years in the Reserve Forces.

Iowa Disabled Veteran Homestead Credit Tax credit to a disabled veteran with a service related disability of 100%.
Filing Requirements:This credit may be claimed by any 100 % disabled veteran of any military forces of the United States. The Veteran's DD214 papers must be recorded with the Recorder and a current copy of the benefits paid letter showing the percentage of disability must be submitted to the assessor at the time the application is filed.  The amount of the credit is a maximum of the entire amount of tax payable on the homestead.

Click here for a list of our current forms


Family Farm Tax Credit
This is a tax credit on agricultural tracts of land 10 acres or more that are farmed by the owner or immediate family members (this incased brothers/sisters, sons/daughters, grandchildren , uncles/aunts, nephews/ nieces.) To obtain the credit, the owner must file an application for credit with the assessor by November 1. If the claim for credit is approved, no further filing shall be required provided the ownership and the designated person actively engaged in farming the property remain the same during successive years. A new application for credit shall be required only if the property is sold or the designated person changes. The owner shall provide written notice to the assessor if the designated person changes. Failure to do so shall result in the owner's being liable for the amount of the credit plus a penalty equal to 5 percent of the amount of the credit granted.